Thursday, January 27, 2005

H is for Harold

I am not entirely sure why, but when I considered the letter H, I thought I might get to do Happy, but for some reason I kept having the name Harold come into my head. Then listening to today's news I heard that the final report on Harold Shipman by Dame Janet Smith came to the conclusion that he was probably responsible for around 250 deaths during his career as a doctor. Seems he had a somewhat different interpretation of the Hippocratic Oath (Wikipedia) to most other doctors. What I find amazing about this is that the medical profession are still basically trying to say that this was just a one off situation that couldn't be repeated because of the systems and checks in place to monitor what doctors do. If there are such checks, then they didn't work too well! But then doctors do tend to look after themselves and present an "I know best" attitude.

Another H which was certainly not happy was the Holocaust survivors braving the cold for one last reunion which made me very uneasy that these poor souls might not survive this time.

Looking for something to lighten the day I remembered Harold Wilson. He was good for a few good quotes, though not as good as George Bush, and came up with "I'm an optimist, but an optimist who carries a raincoat" and "He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery." Now wasn't that cheerful! And finally, for a good laugh "A week is a long time in politics." Something our politicians should be well aware of today.

No comments: