Friday, June 10, 2005

Since Retiring

Since retiring from full time employment some 9 months ago I have found that the greatest change in my life is being able to spend my time as I want to. A lot of things have suddenly started to make sense to me and I have grown to appreciate a great many things that before went unnoticed. Much of this is not really that exciting, but the little things, like what a great joy it has become to watch the birds in the garden and realise just how much creatures of habit they are. A pattern emerges of their life through the seasons which I never had the time before to observe. Bits of what went on got noticed, but never the whole scene, and it is truly fascinating.

The garden itself has suddenly become more interesting as being here more often means that I see things that before were quite unknown to me. Having taken up my camera again more seriously has helped in this regard as it forces you to be more observant. I just wish that my mastery of photography was really up to the task. I was able to pop out this morning when I noticed one of our irises by the pond had suddenly opened out. Last year it was very reluctant to flower so hopefully it is going to be better this time round.



Iris Posted by Hello

For some reason I had it in my head that the wood pigeon was also called the collared dove. I now find that this is not so; it is in fact also known as the ring dove. I tell you this just in case you might be labouring from the same misinformation, and to set the record straight here is one of our visitors, just to prove that I have not been wasting my retirement.


Wood pigeon alias Ring dove Posted by Hello

--------------------------------------------------


I also find that I now have more time for reading and so acquire lots of useless information. Did you know for instance, that botulism got its name from botulus, the Latin for sausage after 6 people in Germany died in 1793 after sharing one. I always suspected there was something a bit dodgy about sausages.

2 comments:

Hypatia said...

I've rediscovered my backyard recently too since my children are at home all day for the summer. Many bugs and flowers and spiders. I agree that photography is a wonderful way to focus one's attention.

When I looked at your pictures I was suddenly reminded of my favorite trip overseas, a school trip to England when I was 14. Thanks so much for the great memories! I want to go back!

Oh, a last comment if you don't mind a suggestion, a polarizing filter may bring out some more detail in that beautiful Iris!

Unknown said...

Sounds like its about time for you to make a return trip. Bring your camera with you, I'm sure you'll find plenty of subjects to take, and I'm sure your children would love it too.

You are probably right about the filters. At the moment I'm still getting used to all the features of my new camera and will no doubt be be adding filters at some point. At least a polarizing filter can be left in place and doesn't have to be carried around separately. I prefer to travel without to much clutter these days.