Sunday, February 27, 2005

Blogging

There seems to have been a fair bit of anti-blogging comment around at the moment. My usual read for news is the Times (London, of course), but even here there have been several articles lately generally deriding the purpose of the blog. The latest on the subject came on Saturday Week on the web which made me begin to think that perhaps they had a point.
I had rather assumed that they were having a touch of professional pique, not appreciating the army of amateurs parading their skills and bringing a breath of fresh air to the happenings of the world around us. But I do get the feeling sometimes that blogs generally contain an awful lot of crap; some of it mine I might add.
One of the problems with the various blog surfing sites is that it seems that their main purpose is to get people to your blog. This can work quite well, but getting the numbers does not necessarily mean getting anything you write read. Traffic Racer is a case in point. Here you can surf remotely without the inconvenience of having to waste time reading, but what I have found is that even if you convert your automatic credits to manual credits, very few visits to my blog come from that source. It would seem therefore pointless, unless you are happy to have bloggers on auto pilot visiting you, but not reading.
What is the secret of a good blog? I wish I knew. Perhaps then I could write one. When I surf blogs I do try to read them, but there really is a lot of rubbish around, so maybe the Times has a point. However, having said that, I do believe it is great that there can be a medium that is available to all and in which you can indulge your passion.
My main passion these days is to try to record what is around me with photography. Just now I seem to be having a few problems getting to grips with it. I am not entirely sure if it my own lack of skill, lack of good enough equipment, or just a phase; I suspect the first. Looking for inspiration today, the best offering I can come up with is to resort to the cute factor, and so here is one of my daughter's cats looking suitably unimpressed.

Cleo Posted by Hello

1 comment:

Marcus said...

The problem with a lot of blogs around these days, is they just seam to be online personal diaries. I get really bored if I try to read every detail of somebody's life. Personally, I'd much rather live my own life than read somebody elses.

The good blogs are the ones where people talk about their ideas, about what's in their head, or ones which are creative in some way or photo blogs. Those are fun to read.

Sometimes I wonder whether I occasionally fall into the trap of just writing about my life. I do try to prevent this if I can though, by reading through it and asking myself the question, "does the world need/want to know this?" If the answer to that is yes, then I post it. If the answer is no, either I just file it away as a private text file on my computer, or I post an edited version with just the important bits.

To put it clearly:

Do I want to read somebody's unique ideas about various interesting topics? YES.
Do I want to read (and see photographs) of particularly interesting places somebody's been or an interesting experience somebody has had? YES
Do I want to read that somebody ate cornflakes for breakfast and then went shopping for shoes? NO.

So I think that's the key. Each time you write something, sit back afterwards and just ask yourself that quick little question, "Will somebody want to read this?" If the answer is clearly no, if it served simply as theraputic self-expression, then why bother putting it on the internet? Just put it away somewhere.

Well that's my personal opinion on the subject anyway.