Tuesday, February 01, 2005

London

We took a trip to London last week-end. This was really to visit our younger daughter and her husband who live there, but we also took the opportunity to do a few touristy things before coming home. In general, I would have to say that I do not like London very much; to be more accurate, what I actually dislike is the traffic chaos that reigns supreme. Whatever the time of day or night it seems that you can find a traffic jam without much effort. As my daughter lives on the south side of the river it does mean that we have to cross from north to south each time. We can cover the 90 miles to the end of the M1 motorway comfortably in about 90 minutes, but it can then take as long again to cover the remaining 13 miles! That's not my idea of fun.

However, I am starting to rant again, and we did actually have an enjoyable break. On Sunday we visited Somerset House where they have a fine display of art from the Courtauld Institute of Art. There is a good range from Renaissance to Impressionist and more modern as well.

Outside the gallery the final day of the ice skating was in full cry. Sadly, I have never been a skater and I was certainly not starting now.


Somerset House Posted by Hello

Not far away, across the other side of the Strand, we wandered around Covent Garden where the whole world appeared to be meeting over a coffee or two.


Covent Garden Posted by Hello

There were deals to be done, in this case one supposes, nothing more sinister than an art deal!


Covent Garden Posted by Hello


1 comment:

Marcus said...

Last time I went to London was 4 years ago, February 2001. I went with my mum on a coach trip organised by our town's civic society. We went to the British Museum and on the London Eye.

I know what you mean about the travelling time. It took our coach 3 hours to get from Rural Gloucestershire into the centre of London, and half of that time was spent just getting through London itself!

I've never gone to London much. Bristol is far closer. Plenty big enough for me.